Trouble with mounting USB stick as user

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Feb 9 09:55:05 PST 2006

> Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 01:23:05 +0100
> From: "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze at gmx.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> The file /etc/devfs.conf can only be used for devices which exist during
> boot time. Its use should (in my opinion) be deprecated. Use
> /etc/devfs.rules . My /etc/devfs.rules looks like this:
>
> [devfsrules_common=10]
> add path 'da*'		mode 0660 group wheel
> add path 'acd*'         mode 0660 group wheel
> add path 'cd*'          mode 0660 group wheel
> add path 'ttyU*'        mode 0660 group wheel
> add path 'cuaU*'        mode 0660 group wheel
>
> And in my rc.conf I have this entry:
>
> devfs_system_ruleset="devfsrules_common"

I agree that devfs.conf should go away, but ATM there is no way to get
all of its functionality in devfs.rules. The one things that gets most
(all?)  of the complaints is "link". There is simply no way to implement
this from devfs.rules; only on devfs.conf. I want to create /dev/dvd and
/dev/cdrom when my CD/DVD is plugged into my system.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)