Trouble with mounting USB stick as user

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Feb 8 10:48:41 PST 2006

martinko wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > To enable user mounts, there are three conditions:
 > > 1.  sysctl vfs.usermount=1
 > > 2.  The user must have read+write permission on the device
 > >     which is to be mounted.  This is usually accomplished
 > >     by creating a special group for this device.
 > > 3.  The user must _own_ the mountpoint (r/w permission is
 > >     not sufficient).
 >
 > [...]
 > $ ll /dev/ad0
 > crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  96 Feb  8 18:27 /dev/ad0

Condition #2 isn't met:  The device must be "rw" for for
the user (in this case for the operator group).  Note
that "r" is not sufficient, even for read-only mounts.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Please respect the "Reply-To:" header.  I do read
the mailing list (via an NNTP gateway) and do _not_ want
to get superfluous copies in my mailbox.

I suggested holding a "Python Object Oriented Programming Seminar",
but the acronym was unpopular.
        -- Joseph Strout