dhclient in 6.0

Matt Dawson matt at mattsnetwork.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 00:02:36 PST 2006

On Sunday 05 February 2006 06:04, you wrote:
> The problem is that the integration of the modern wlan (802.11) code has
> never been done in the if_wi code and it does not report state back to
> wlan adequately to make the OpenBSD client function correctly.

Thank you, right there. That's exactly what I thought was going on with wi and
the xe cards, although the xe never actually gets a link that works above
10BaseT, half duplex, even manually configured with a static IP. I'll try to
get some more information about the problem and maybe file a PR. Or maybe
award myself a pointy hat for being stupid and missing something...

> I greatly prefer having dhclient run per interface and, if it understood
> what the wi card was doing, it would be great.

Actually, even the simple dhclient.conf files have forced me to look at other
ways of doing things. Some of them, such as DDNS from the DHCP server, have
turned out to be more elegant and secure than manually configuring
dhclient.conf on every machine. Certainly, having the dhclient process for a
particular card commit suicide when someone pops out the NIC rather than
sitting there sulking is a bonus, too.

> But that's not the way it
> is and, with the declining popularity of Prism2 based cards, it may
> never get updated unless someone gets sufficiently annoyed to do the
> work themselves.

That much is true and, humour and anthropomorphising daemon processes aside,
the Atheros cards do all I require and more, at the same time being abundant
enough not to attract a premium price. Time to remove Prism based cards from
my approved hardware list, I think.
--
Matt Dawson.

matt at mattsnetwork.co.uk