Compaq Proliant CISS slow writes

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Sun Feb 5 02:42:20 PST 2006

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Not sure if this is standard, but on an idle machine (ie. just set it
> up, nothing running on it yet), with RAID1+0 across 4 drives:
>
> Writing the 853 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...15.656250 seconds
> Reading the file...3.921875 seconds
>
> IOZONE performance measurements:
>         57129601 bytes/second for writing the file
>         228063191 bytes/second for reading the file

I could live with 4x slower writes - that would get me ~18MB/s; I'd
settle for ~10MB/s as the server is on a 100Mbit/s network.

If it's the standard situation then ok, it's "higher power" but somehow
I doubt 3 10kRPM SCSI drives in RAID5 should be this slow. Toying with
mount options doesn't help.

(btw. everything is fine on the attached desktop-grade IDE disk [very
recent model]: 45MB/s writes, 50MB/s reads)