dhclient in 6.0

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Fri Feb 3 22:57:25 PST 2006

David W. Hankins wrote this message on Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 16:55 -0800:
> There's no one I think I'm supposed to be talking to about
> architectural plans like these at FreeBSD.  So all these plans

Well, you could always check the FreeBSD cvs repository to see who
imported dhclient (a hint, it's brooks), and drop him an email...

And as the last status report says:
OpenBSD dhclient

   Contact: Brooks Davis <brooks at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Sam Leffler <sam at FreeBSD.org>

   The OpenBSD rewrite of dhclient has been imported, replacing the ISC
   dhclient. The OpenBSD client provides better support for roaming on
   wireless networks and a simpler model of operation. Instead of a
   single dhclient process per system, there is one per network
   interface. This instance automatically goes away in the even of link
   loss and is restarted via devd when link is reacquired. To support
   this change, many aspects of the network interface configuration
   process were overhauled.

   Support for adding aliases to DHCP configured interfaces has been
   committed to CURRENT and will be merged before 6.1-RELEASE. Soon work
   will begin to merge changes from OpenBSD that have taken place since
   the initial import.

   Work on further interface configuration enhancements is underway for
   FreeBSD 7.0.

and both -arch and -current are good places to raise the topic...

Good luck in bring things back together...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579