tr(1) buggy with de_DE.ISO8859-1(5) locale?

Martin nakal at nurfuerspam.de
Fri Feb 3 13:58:18 PST 2006

Dan Nelson wrote:
> tr uses the collation sequence when expanding ranges, so the real
> problem is that the lowercase range "s-w" expands to "sßtuúùûüvw", and
> the uppercase range "S-W" expands to "STUÚÙÛÜVW", which is a smaller
> set.
>
> An alternative would be to use "tr stuvw STUVW" or "tr stuúùûüvw
> STUÚÙÛÜVW".

My real problem is that I could not figure out why ffmpeg-devel did not
compile with MPEG-support, than I found this in its config.h:

#define CONFIG_OGGWORBIS_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_OGGWORBIS_DECODER 1
#define CONFIG_OGGUHEORA_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_OGGUHEORA_DECODER 1
#define CONFIG_YWID_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_MPEG1WIDEO_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_MPEG2WIDEO_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_RW10_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_RW20_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_MSMPEG4W1_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_MSMPEG4W2_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_MSMPEG4W3_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_XMW1_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_XMW2_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_SWQ1_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_PGMÝÚW_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_HÚFFÝÚW_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_FFWHÚFF_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_ASW1_ENCODER 1
#define CONFIG_ASW2_ENCODER 1

etc. etc.

I guess I have to set root user back to "C" locale. :(
I can imagine that many people are using "tr a-z A-Z"
(or similar) in configuration-scripts.

Martin