sendmail_enable="NO" ignored in 4.7+?

Gunnar Flygt gunnar.flygt at sr.se
Fri Feb 3 03:22:49 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 10:03:35AM -0500, Scott Renna wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I had a question in regards to this post about sendmail.  I noticed the
> same problem on my system:

How come this is so hard. Just do a grep for sendmail
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf and you get:

 2$ grep sendmail /etc/defaults/rc.conf
mta_start_script="/etc/rc.sendmail"
# Settings for /etc/rc.sendmail:
sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (YES/NO/NONE).
                        # If NONE, don't start any sendmail processes.
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m" # Flags to sendmail (as a server)
sendmail_submit_enable="YES"    # Start a localhost-only MTA for mail submission
sendmail_submit_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m -ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost"
sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
sendmail_outbound_flags="-L sm-queue -q30m" # Flags to sendmail (outbound only)
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES" # Dequeue stuck clientmqueue mail (YES/NO).
sendmail_msp_queue_flags="-L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m"
                                # Flags for sendmail_msp_queue daemon.

And the read the lines about sendmail_enable!

> > Due to my less than perfect memory I can't pinpoint exactly when, but
> > after upgrading my 4.x-system it seems like the sendmail_enable="NO"
> > in /etc/rc.conf is being ignored and sendmail gets started anyway.
>
> Is there any reason why even if you put "NO" sendmail still starts up?
> It seems kind of weird that it would start.
>
> Scott Renna

Gunnar Flygt, Postmaster SR