SCSI device timeout

Holm Tiffe holm at freibergnet.de
Wed Feb 1 02:42:54 PST 2006

Johan Ström wrote:

> On 1 feb 2006, at 10.57, Holm Tiffe wrote:
>
> >Derkjan de Haan wrote:
> >
> >>All,
> >>
> >>Today, after a cvsup (RELENG_6) and a rebuild of kernel and world, my
> >>system no longer boots. It hangs on
> >>
> >>Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> >>
> >>Booting from the previous kernel allows my system to boot again.
> >>Please let
> >>me know if I can do anything to diagnose further.
> >>

> >>regards,
> >>
> >>Derkjan de Haan
> >>

> >I have exactly the same problem here on a ASUS A7V333 Motherboard and
> >an Adaptec 3960D SCSI Controller.
> >
> >The problem seems to be in the acpi interrupt routing, I've updated
> >the mainboard Bios to the last available version in the meantime
> >(1018.004 Beta) with no luck. Disabling acpi completly helps booting
> >the machine again..
>
> Hi
>
> I got one of those motherboards.. however no SCSI card but a promise.
> Ive hade huge problems with it (check out the "Page fault, GEOM
> problem??" thread). The problems i had was random crashes and very
> bad speed to the disks.
> It was solved by throwing the mobo out with a new one with nforce2
> chipset... Got great speeds now and haven't had a crash since i
> installed it (roughly a week now).
>
> Johan Ström
> johan at stromnet.org
> http://www.stromnet.org/

No Johan, my A7V333 has no problem, it runs for arounrd 2 years now as my
personal workstation here at work 24/7.

I've cvsupped RELENG_6 again for an hour or so and the now build kernel
runs flawlessly. There are some new patches in the pci code.

Regards,

Holm
--
L&P::Kommunikation GbR          Holm Tiffe  * Administration, Development
FreibergNet.de Internet Systems                     phone +49 3731 419010