ath0 timeout problem - again

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Dec 28 15:00:54 PST 2006

I need some help here, this is not a single case, I get this on a several
machines, this is releng_6 , recent, but old problem getting ugly

first I get this kind of events in messages, independent if it is client mode
or hostap or adhoc

Dec 28 16:50:53 ap1-cds kernel: ath0: discard oversize frame (ether type 5e4
flags 3 len 1522 > max 1514)
Dec 28 16:51:01 ap1-cds kernel: ath0: discard oversize frame (ether type 5e4
flags 3 len 1522 > max 1514)
Dec 28 16:58:16 ap1-cds kernel: ath0: device timeout
... timeout event repeats

I really do not know what this event means (ether type 5e4), for my
understandings it is vague in the source, so I am lost here

{
I get continously:

 kernel: ath0: link state changed to DOWN
 kernel: ath0: link state changed to UP

when WL client but it recovers when the AP comes back to normal
so wl-cli mode is not the issue
}

but when the machine is running hostap the link state up/down events do not
come up but transmission is interrupted, or better, goes slow and stops
then - and stops forever until cold reboot, no chance to get this card back,
not even unload ath and reload the driver (that was a try but I use it
compiled into the kernel)
this is not related to any WEP settings or any rate, this problem is coming up
with either rate-sample or rate_onoe

this is not related to the "tx stopped" problem (OACTIVE) and it is not
related to any [TX|RX]BUF value (whatever it is set to)

this problem is not a single case and not hardware related, here I mean MB,
CPU, memory but is related in a certain way to the ath drv - same machine,
but wi0 (prism card) and it does NOT happen this way

I am with this problem since 6.0 and would be glad if somebody could convince
Mr. Sam L.  to attend this since it is a serious issue - any FreeBSD releng_6
has this problem but releng_5 does not

depending on the amount of traffic I get this any hour ( when 2-3Mbit/s or
more) or several times a day (when 1-2Mbit/s)

it get worse when I have more then one ath card installed

ath stats:

70777 data frames received
71551 data frames transmit
420 tx frames with an alternate rate
10821 long on-chip tx retries
260 tx failed 'cuz too many retries
11M current transmit rate
10489 tx management frames
1 tx frames discarded prior to association
786 tx frames with no ack marked
80516 tx frames with short preamble
54395 rx failed 'cuz of bad CRC
146438 rx failed 'cuz of PHY err
    145013 CCK timing
    1425 CCK restart
5295 beacons transmitted
19 periodic calibrations
42 rssi of last ack
31 avg recv rssi
-98 rx noise floor
572 cabq frames transmitted
11 cabq xmit overflowed beacon interval
1525 switched default/rx antenna
Antenna profile:
[1] tx    41285 rx    4

ifconfig

ath0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        ether 00:13:46:8b:f1:86
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet DS/11Mbps mode 11b <hostap>
        status: associated
        ssid omegasul channel 1 (2412) bssid 00:13:46:8b:f1:86
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey 1
        wepkey 1:40-bit
        wepkey 2:40-bit
        wepkey 3:40-bit
        wepkey 4:40-bit powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100 txpowmax 36
        txpower 63 rtsthreshold 2346 mcastrate 1 fragthreshold 2346 bmiss 7
        -pureg protmode CTS -wme burst ssid HIDE -apbridge dtimperiod 1
        bintval 100

--
thank's
João