A better gvinum raid-5 guide?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Dec 27 17:52:07 PST 2006

Hello,

I am trying to learn a bit more on how gvinum works out in a day-to-day
situation. For this purpose, I have a server which has four identical
disks in addition to ad0, on which I have installed FreeBSD 6.x. It
looks like this: root at kg-fil# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-fil.kg4.no 6.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #9: Tue
Oct  3 23:08:46 CEST 2006
root at kg-fil.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FIL60  amd64 root at kg-fil#
atacontrol list ATA channel 0: Master:  ad0 <SAMSUNG SP0822N/WA100-33>
ATA/ATAPI revision 7 Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 1:
    Master: acd0 <NEC DVD RW ND-3550A/1.05> ATA/ATAPI revision 0
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 2:
    Master:  ad4 <SAMSUNG SP2504C/VT100-33> Serial ATA II
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 3:
    Master:  ad6 <SAMSUNG SP2504C/VT100-33> Serial ATA II
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 4:
    Master:  ad8 <SAMSUNG SP2504C/VT100-33> Serial ATA II
    Slave:       no device present
ATA channel 5:
    Master: ad10 <SAMSUNG SP2504C/VT100-33> Serial ATA II
    Slave:       no device present

As you can see, the ad0 disk is PATA, and the other disks are SATA.
I would like to set up the four sata disks as a raid-5.
I have read the Handbook chapter on (g)vinum:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html

I wonder; are there any guides on setting up gvinum out there that are
easier to follow than this? I tried googling, but only found articles
on hardware raid, and on software raid-1, which isn't what I want to do.

A step-by-step guide for setting up 4 disks in a raid-5 plex would have
been welcome.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,