burncd 'blank' not terminating ?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Mon Dec 25 09:21:02 PST 2006

O. Hartmann wrote:
> Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

>>   Yes, well known RELENG_4 -> 6 (maybe even 5) regression. Same here with
>>
>> acd0: CDRW <CD-W540E/1.0C> at ata1-master UDMA33
>>
>> Worked fine under RELENG_4, fails to wait for completion under RELENG_6.
>>
>>> See my report: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/95344
>>> And: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/104270
>>>
>>> The last one contain a fix.
>> This fix doesn't help me.
>>
>>> Serg.
>>>
>>> P.S.: Don't use burncd. Use cdrecord!
>>   IMHO it isn't correct approach to avoid use of the tool _instead_ of
>> fixing
>> it. This way, all your tools will be broken one day ;)
>>
>> Sincerely, Dmitry
> Since this is a very old and well known issue, and it seems there is no
> one left solcing/developing this tool, it should be removed from the
> source tree for the time it is to said broken.
> burncd had some nice advantages over cdrecord: it came from the BSD
> tree, it had capabilities for burning DVD+RW images. Disadvantage was
> the limitation to ATA interface.
>
> Someone should suggest the stripp off the sources via PR?
>
> Regards,
> Oliver

There are times when 'ls' doesn't work quite right for me.  I propose
removing that from the FreeBSD tree ASAP.  In fact, anything that hasn't
had a commit in a year should be removed, since it is obviously
abandoned, not working, and useless.  Obviously.

Or, we can not say silly things like, "you didn't fix X for me, so it
should be removed from the FreeBSD tree."

Scott