chkrootkit finds 94 process hidden for readdir

Matthew Herzog matthew.herzog at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:26:30 PST 2006

Hello.

I run FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p7 on an UltraSparc 5 machine.

I ran chkrootkit yesterday and saw this:

Checking `lkm'... You have    94 process hidden for readdir command
chkproc: Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

Everything else was deemed clean by chkrootkit.

When I booted into single user mode and ran chkrootkit it said there were
"33 process hidden for readdir command"

The sha256 checksum is slightly different for the /usr/bin/su binary
on the install
media compared to the /usr/bin/su on the running install.

I could find nothing definitive on this subject posted online so . . . .

-- Matt H.