Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Dec 22 13:17:35 PST 2006

> Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:09:40 +0100
> From: <Helge.Oldach at atosorigin.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>
> Pete French <> wrote on Friday, December 22, 2006 2:44 PM:
> >> Because everybody knows that odd numbered releases aren't stable.
> >
> > I've been 20 years in electronics & comouting and thats the first
> > time I have ever heard anyone say that! Steer clear of '.0' releases
> > is well known, but suspecting something just because of the odd or
> > evenness of it's numbering scheme seems like pure superstition.
>
> The odd/even rule is just over-generalization, derived from the Linux
> kernel numbering scheme.

It's actually fairly common over the past few years on many high-profile
projects. Gnome and Xemacs stable releases are always even. Those are
just two projects that I tend to pay attention to.

But these are an even or odd number AFTER the point, so I don't know
why people would get the idea that odd FreeBSD major version numbers are
unstable other than 5.0 and 5.1 were clear less than stable (and so
announced) and V3 was a bit rough, too, although not unstable for
me. People may just have noticed this and decided it was the way things
were. From what I see of CURRENT (which I run on my laptop and one
desktop system), V7 looks to be a pretty good flavor, although there is
lots of time for things to go wrong over the next year.

In any case, while I can't see many reasons to run 5.5 when you can run
6.2 or 6.2RC, I have seen a couple of odd issues with specific hardware,
so there are a few cases. And, if you have an SMP system, 6 is the only
way to go for effective use of the added CPUs.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)