Acer Aspire WLMi 5102 with AMD Turion 64 X2 system hanging with powerd on 6.2-RC1 and 6.2-PRERELEASE

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Dec 21 11:07:41 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-Dec-20 15:04:31 -0800, Scot Hetzel wrote:
>Had the same problem where powerd would hang my HP Pavilion dv8000
>system.  I worked arround the problem by using the following in
>rc.conf:
>
>powerd_enable="YES"
>powerd_flags="-a maximum -b maximum"
>
>Of course this makes powered do nothing when on battery.

You might as well have
powerd_enable="NO"

>  What I think
>is happening is that powered is too aggressive in downgrading the
>clock speed, that it eventually sets the clock to a value that is so
>low that the system stops responding.

I have an HP nx6125 that will randomly hang if powerd is enabled and
if you search back through the mailing lists, there are a few other
people with similar problems.  I've done some experimenting and in my
case, it's the clock speed transitions that cause a hang.  The actual
clock speed is irrelevant.  I believe it's a race condition or a
timing bug.

--
Peter Jeremy