Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Thu Dec 21 10:33:16 PST 2006

> Private reply.  Not interested in trolling or becoming a troll...
>
> On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 09:58:11AM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> >
> > Are the people making this argument unaware that 6.1 and 5.5 have been
> > at release status for quite some time, and thus have been providing
> > ample opportunity to upgrade for some time now?
>
> 4.11 is rock solid.  5.5 and 6.1 both have problems to the point
> that we can NOT roll them out on production machines.  EVERY machine
> we run those releases (or any 5.x or 6.x release) will hang or
> reboot at random.  And it's not hardware - we take a machine that
> was happily running 4.11, "upgrade" it, suffer problems, reformat and
> reinstall 4.11 and the machine is one again solid.
>
> So, 4.11 is unsupported, 5.5 and 6.1 are simply unusable and 6.2
> is not released.  Is is any wonder we are begging for extended
> support on 4.11?  If 6.2 is as bad as 6.1, we're screwed.

Don't know why you sent this to me privately.

First off, we're running 5.5, 6.1 and 6.2 all over the place and have
zero stability problems.

Secondly, how many PRs have you filed regarding these problems?  If
you've found legitimate issues with the OS, the _correct_ thing to
do is help the developers resolve the issues, not clamour about why
there aren't enough resources to maintain a system that's old, old,
old.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.