Cached file read performance with 6.2-PRERELEASE

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Thu Dec 21 04:57:42 PST 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:38, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> I was however trying to point out that as your machine is different from
> mine (opteron and ddr*400* as opposed to PIII and pc133), the fact that
> it is faster is not telling us anything about whether releng_6
> performance on cached file reads could be improved!
>
> In fact if you note that the PIII HW *can* actually do 700MB/s, it
> suggests that your HW is capable of considerably more than 900MB/s -
> given that opteron's have excellent cpu to memory bandwidth, and the
> speed of your memory!

I am not convinced that this kind of test is of any value for comparing
systems at all because there are too much factors involved - unless the
competitors are installed on identical hardware. On the other side I think it
is usefull to compare tweaked settings on a particular machine. For example
you may change fsize/bsize of the filesystem or any other and can compare
this results then.

--

João