Cached file read performance with 6.2-PRERELEASE

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Thu Dec 21 03:34:10 PST 2006

JoaoBR wrote:

> I am not convinced that this kind of test is of any value for comparing
> systems at all because there are too much factors involved - unless the
> competitors are installed on identical hardware. On the other side I think it
> is usefull to compare tweaked settings on a particular machine. For example
> you may change fsize/bsize of the filesystem or any other and can compare
> this results then.

Exactly, that's why I did the comparison - I think you missed the part
where I mentioned the 2 systems were *identical* with respect to cpus,
memory, mobo - in fact even the power supplies are identical too! the
only differences are that the Gentoo system has a different RAID
controller from the FreeBSD one (a cheaper one in fact), and the FreeBSD
system has larger capacity disks (slightly newer variants, same brand!)
given this comparison is about *cached* read rates, the RAID controllers
and disks are not significant I think.

Specifically:

Gentoo :
- Supermicro P3TDER
- 2xSL5QL 1.26 GHz PIII
- 2xKingston PC133 RCC Registered 1GB DIMMS
- Promise TX4000 4x Maxtor plus 8 ATA-133 7200 40G

FreeBSD
- Supermicro P3TDER
- 2xSL5QL 1.26 GHz PIII
- 2xKingston PC133 RCC Registered 1GB DIMM
- 3Ware 7506 4x Maxtor Plus 9 ATA-133 7200 80G

In fact, to indulge your skepticism ('cause I think this is a real issue
  worth sorting out), I booted the FreeBSD system with a Gentoo livecd
and  ran the same tests there... and guess what - identical results to
the installed Gentoo system...so... errm - *my* experimental method is
sound...so how about we just get together and see how to make FreeBSD
kick Gentoo eh?

Cheers

Mark