"swap_pager" loop?

Paulius Bulotas paulius at devnull.lt
Tue Dec 19 09:06:15 PST 2006

Hi,

On 06 12 19, Ken Sallot wrote:
> > That message is printed when a timeout appears while waiting
> > for the swap device.  I've seen such problems when the disk
> > or the controller was dead or malfunctioning.  Are you sure
> > that your hardware is OK, i.e. no disk errors, good cables
> > etc.?

FreeBSD 6.2-RC1 #1: Sun Dec 10 12:34:12 EET 2006
root at ...:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP

Nov 24 00:18:44 sh kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj:
0, blkno: 160, size: 4096
Nov 24 00:21:43 sh kernel: swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj:
0, blkno: 160, size: 4096

# swapinfo
Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
/dev/amrd0s1b     1048576      884  1047692     0%

so, you are not alone ;) only our server recovers after 1 or 2 minutes.
Previously it was running 6.1-STABLE, now it's 6.2-RC1 and so far so
good, but that's probably only temporary.
BTW, before we used megarc for monitoring (through nagios each 5
minutes), now amrstat each 15 minutes.

# amrstat -g
Product                 <Intel(R) RAID Controller SRCZCRX>
Firmware                414D
BIOS                    H431
SCSI channels           2
Fibre loops             0
Memory size             128 MB
Battery status          not present, charge unknown
Logical volume 0        optimal (339.93 GB, RAID5)
Physical drive 0:0      online
Physical drive 0:1      online
Physical drive 0:2      online
Physical drive 0:3      online