sshfs/nfs cause server lockup

Chris chrcoluk at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 17:29:25 PST 2006

On 07/12/06, Anish Mistry <mistry.7 at osu.edu> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 December 2006 13:36, Chris wrote:
> > On 23/11/06, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> > > Are you sure these are NFS problems and not ethernet driver
> > > problems?
> > >
> > > Kris
> >
> > Had another lockup today, reattached to screen process to see both
> > sshfs mounts timed out when running sshfs to remount the terminal
> > stopped updating, it didnt disconnect me and an ircd running on the
> > server remained functional and the server responded to pings,
> > however the terminal was dead and I couldnt login on ssh for a new
> > session, a ctrl-alt-del also failed to reboot it and it needed a
> > power cycle again.
> >
> > I have googled researched and read dozens and dozens of nfs bug
> > reports where most of them seem to be a problem caused by nfs not
> > disconnecting properly leaving itself in a bad state, the fix is
> > usually to reboot.  I am having to reboot weekly more often then my
> > windows desktop pc, everyone else having no problems with the nfs
> > on their linux servers having no problems and its hardly inspiring
> > that the stable freebsd is not stable.  All these problems on
> > google didnt get fixed no dev attention etc.
> >
> > So far I have not got my local bsd box up and running yet due to no
> > keyboard still need parts for it.
> I've updated the sshfs and libs port, you may want to update and see
> if that helps.
>
> --
> Anish Mistry

Hi yes my sshfs and the libs got updated but didnt fix the crash
however I did find this link.

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1362611+0+archive/2006/freebsd-stable/20060702.freebsd-stable

It does make sense if thats the problem since the entire server even
locally stops working properly, and it always follows a unexpected
nfs/sshfs disconnection ie. network timeout.

I am now running 6.2-RC that has the new file and currently at 1 day
11hrs uptime.

Chris