NFS locking: lockf freezes (rpc.lockd problem?)

Greg Byshenk gbyshenk at byshenk.net
Thu Aug 31 21:14:57 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:05:26PM +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:

[I wrote]

> So.  I have done this.  And I can't reproduce the problem.

> # uname -a
> FreeBSD venus.araneidae.co.uk 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #1: Mon Aug 28
> 18:32:17 UTC 2006
> root at venus.araneidae.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

> Hmm.  Hopefully this is a *good* thing, ie, the problem really has been
> fixed, rather than just going into hiding.

> So, as far as I can tell, lockf works properly in this release.

Just as an interesting side note, I just experienced rpc.lockd crashing.
The server is not running RELENG_6, but RELENG_5 (FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE
#15: Thu Aug 24 18:47:20 CEST 2006).  Due to user error, someone ended
up with over 1000 processes trying to lock the same NFS mounted file at
the same time.  The result was over 1000 "Cannot allocate memory" errors
followed by rpc.lockd crashing.

I guess the server is telling me it wants an update...

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL