NFS locking: lockf freezes (rpc.lockd problem?)

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Aug 29 07:50:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-Aug-28 13:23:30 +0000, Michael Abbott wrote:
>I think there is a case to be made for special casing SIGKILL, but in a
>sense it's not so much the fate of the process receiving the SIGKILL that
>counts: after all, having sent -9 I know that it will never process again.

Currently, if you send SIGKILL, the process will never enter userland
again.

Going further, so that if you send a process SIGKILL, it will always
terminate immediately is significantly more difficult.  In the normal
case, a process is sleeping on some condition with PCATCH specified.
If the process receives a signal, sleep(9) will return ERESTART or
EINTR and the code has to then arrange to return back to userland
(which will cause the signal to be handled as per sigaction(2) and
the processes signal handlers).  In some cases, it may be inconvenient
to unwind back to userland from a particular point so PCATCH isn't
specified on the sleep.

--
Peter Jeremy