16M RAM enough for FreeBSD 6.1?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 27 10:09:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-Aug-27 11:00:30 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:13:29 +1000
>Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:
>
>> The CD-ROMs create a RAMdisk and need a minimum of 24MB last I
>> checked.
>
>And I guess that the floppies work in the same way?

Yes.

>> Once you have FreeBSD installed, it will limp along in 16MB
>> (though not very happily).
>
>Hmm, I see. I'm planning to run X on this old box (it's going to be a
>PictureFrame project), perhaps that will not work.

I think you would be thrashing if there was any actual activity.  I'll
prod a friend with the same setup to comment tomorrow.

>> I strongly suggest you find a SODIMM to
>> expand it.
>
>Ok. Are all SODIMMs equal (ie. a real standard), or do I hvae to look
>specifically for memory upgrades for the Armada 1580 (or 1500 series)?

I'm 99% certain that you can't use anything bigger than 64MB (at least
a 128MB Cpq Armada SODIMM that I had wouldn't work in any of the 15xx
machines I tried it in - that included a 1580).  I'm not sure how
interchangeable they are.

--
Peter Jeremy