16M RAM enough for FreeBSD 6.1?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Aug 27 09:00:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:13:29 +1000
Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy at optushome.com.au> wrote:

> The CD-ROMs create a RAMdisk and need a minimum of 24MB last I
> checked.

And I guess that the floppies work in the same way?

> Once you have FreeBSD installed, it will limp along in 16MB
> (though not very happily).

Hmm, I see. I'm planning to run X on this old box (it's going to be a
PictureFrame project), perhaps that will not work.

> I strongly suggest you find a SODIMM to
> expand it.

Ok. Are all SODIMMs equal (ie. a real standard), or do I hvae to look
specifically for memory upgrades for the Armada 1580 (or 1500 series)?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,