suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 16:24:39 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 01:16, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > Stay away from Adaptec and Promise because they don't support FreeBSD.
> > I would recommend Areca and/or HighPoint because they do officially
> > support FreeBSD. 3Ware does support FreeBSD but I don't have
> > experience with their cards so I can't say anything good or bad about
> > them.
>
> I believe Promise *do* support FreeBSD quite a bit.

Maybe as an after thought. I also don't see any link on their site for
FreeBSD support, lets check google:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site%3Awww.promise.com+FreeBSD

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site%3Ahighpoint-tech.com+FreeBSD

So 7 Links Vs. 90 Links. Also if you click on that first link google
gives you, about the up coming RAID6 SuperTrak EX4350 and EX12350 with
support for FreeBSD etc.. Those card are clones of Areca's ARC-1210
and ARC-1230 cards... Striped down clones at that, they only have a
500MHz XScale IOP333... Areca is already moving from the 600MHz XScale
IOP333 to the 800MHz XScale IOP341 with DDR2-533 support... Hell I bet
they're just going to patch arcmsr(4) and call it there own. Areca's
Erich Chen put a lot of work into arcmsr(4). There wouldn't be an
arcmsr(4) in FreeBSD if it wasn't for Areca commitment to support
FreeBSD. Now we have Promise trying to claim they support FreeBSD by
patching a few lines of code from another company. Butch of BS is what
that is.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/