5.5 to 6.1 upgrade

Stefan Bethke stb at lassitu.de
Mon Aug 21 21:52:18 UTC 2006

Am 21.08.2006 um 18:19 schrieb Ian Smith:

> Hello -stable ones,
>
> I recently (without drama) upgraded a 5.4-RELEASE system to
> FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE #1: Tue Aug  1 11:11:20 EST 2006
> for 'target practice' at least, on the way to 6.1-STABLE
>
> I was preparing to portupgrade everything next, when I wondered:
>
> a) should I upgrade from RELENG_5 straight to RELENG_6 or should I be
> stopping off at 6.1-RELEASE along the way first?  and

I'd go straight to 6-stable. Make sure you have a good backup, even
if you stop over at 6.1.

> b) do I need to upgrade all existing ports (way out of date) before
> the
> source upgrade, or can I be confident of doing that from 6.1 (-R or
> -S)?
>
> FWIW: a wee Celeron 300, so minimising upgrade build times is
> desirable.

Unless you have business critical apps running (downtime must be
minimal), you can wait until you've completed the upgrade to 6-
stable, and then run portupgrade -af.  If you'd like to run the
portupgrade overnight, you might want to define BATCH, and possibly
set any port building options in /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf,
otherwise, the port builds will be frequently interrupted by make
config questions.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140