Motherboard RAID problem

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 20 22:20:19 UTC 2006

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 12:24:36PM -0700, Bill Blue wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:22:48 -0700, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

<snip>

> >> Alternatively, are you sure you have identified your hardware correctly?
> >>
> >> According to Supermicro here
> >>
> >>    <http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/P4/875/P4SCT.cfm>
> >>
> >> the P4SCT has an Intel 6300ESB onboard RAID controller, which according to
> >> this page
> >>
> >>    <http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=eoyraid&page=2&cookie%5Ftest=1>
> >>
> >> is based upon the ICH4, and not Adaptec controller.  And, unless I've
> >> missed it, this controller is not supported.
> >
> > The ata(4) manual page lists the 6300ESB as supported. The ataraid(4)
> > manual only lists the "Intel MatrixRAID" metadata format as supported.
> >
> > Roland
>
> Roland, Greg,
>
> Thanks for the replies.  The Intel 6300ESB (aka Hance Rapids I/O
> Controller Hub) serves as a controller for USB 2.0, UDMA100 and
> SATA150 devices.  Separately of that, there's the Adaptec embedded
> SATA with Hostraid controller driver which comes into play if you
> activate RAID in the BIOS.
>
> Since they refer to it as Adaptec's Hostraid controller, it looks like
> ataraid(4) should support it.

Looks like it.

> And Nooooo, I didn't have ataraid defined in my kernel.  It was, but
> for some reason it isn't now.  I'll uh, have to add and rebuild.
> Thanks for pointing out my error.

Or you could load the module that is built (in the GENERIC kernel, at
least). Putting ataraid_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf should work.

> Now, when the ar0s1a-f devices do show up, does the boot device
> actually get changed from ad4* to ar0* or do I need to boot single
> user while it's talking to ad4* and change the mount points and
> reboot?  I've never played much with changing boot devices.

Me neither :-) I created the RAID1 array in the BIOS, and picked ar0 in
sysinstall. I guess you'd have to look in the loader(8) manual and
chapter 12 of the Handbook.

Roland