TOP shows above 100% WCPU usage

Bill LeFebvre bill at lefebvre.org
Thu Aug 17 05:31:50 UTC 2006

O. Hartmann wrote:
> I use FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE/AMD on an pure 64Bit box/environment, single
> CPU Athlon 3500+, and sometimes I can see a 100%+ usage of WCPU in
> 'xine' or 'transmission'. So this is definitely not related to multiple
> CPUs.

WCPU is supposed to be weighted in some way to take swap time in to
account.  It's possible that the weighting calculation is adding a bit to a
nearly 100% value.  Try displaying just %CPU (the 'C' command I think?) and
see if it is reporting over 100% for a normal (non-weighted) cpu percent.
It shouldn't.  If it is, then there's something weird about the way the
value is being tracked by the kernel.

Bill LeFebvre