FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE: Unexplained power off

Darren Henderson darren at nighttide.net
Wed Aug 16 01:32:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, Android Andrew [:] wrote:

> My system (FreeBSD callisto 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #4: Mon Aug 14
> 13:32:00 EEST 2006 root at callisto:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/callisto i386) powers
> down during compilation - doesn't matter it is any port (kde, openoffice) or
> "make -j4 buildworld". Computer powers off without any message (screen, or

The last time I saw something like this it turned out to be a memory
issue.

Frustraiting as hell, only effected certain compiles but always repeatble.
It would get to a certain point, halt, and then reboot, no warnings, no
messages. I could do a buildworld just fine but something like compiling
pike caused it to tank - eventually it started doing it with something as
mundane as pine. Memory passed all the tests the various utilities threw
at it.

Swaped out some of the ram and the problem went away.

Problems like this are never fun to find.

-Darren

Darren Henderson                                  darren at nighttide.net

                    Help fight junk e-mail, visit http://www.cauce.org/