IBM xSeries 336 dual Xeon hangs on boot when APIC enabled

Arjan van Leeuwen avleeuwen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 08:45:47 UTC 2006

2006/8/13, Michael Landin Hostbaek <mich at freebsd.org>:

> Arjan van Leeuwen (avleeuwen) writes:
> > I'm trying to boot FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE/amd64 on an IBM xSeries 336
> machine
> > with dual Xeons 3.2GHz installed.
> >
> > The installation was successful, but
> > if I try to boot the SMP kernel, it hangs after detection of SCSI and
> ATA
> > devices (possibly when doing the initialization of the mpt0 RAID
> controller,
> > or when it tries to start the second CPU?).
> >

> I've just had a similar problem with an IBM xSeries 232 - it would not
> boot with apic enabled.. I chased the problem down to the network
> adapter (fxp) - and when disabling the planar ethernet in BIOS it would
> boot with SMP.

Yes! Indeed, the system boots perfectly well if I disable both network
adapters (bge, see
dmesg.boot
 posted earlier). However, I need at least one functioning network adapter...

I managed to get both NIC and SMP working by disabling a bunch of stuff
> in the BIOS, fx both serial ports and also the floppy drive.

... and this doesn't seem to work for me.

So:
1) Why does my system hang if I enable the network adapter?
2) Why does it only hang if APIC is enabled?

Arjan

Your problem might not be related, but give it a shot !