bce0: Error mapping mbuf into TX chain!

Scott Wilson scott.wilson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:37:06 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, David Christensen <davidch at broadcom.com> wrote:
> Scott,
>

> > What are you doing when this problem occurs?  Is it something
> > I can easily duplicate here?  When I tested the fix on
> > -CURRENT I used the following command suggested by Doug to
> > bring out the failure quickly:
> >
> > ssh <bad machine> "dd if=/dev/zero bs=1" > /dev/null
> >
> > Does this same command fail for you too?
> >

> I updated my RELENG_6 system to the tip and tried the same ssh
> command which you mentioned also failed on your system.  I couldn't
> duplicate the problem at all.  Are you sure you are actually using
> the new code?  My system is reporting a different driver version
> than yours (mine = 0.9.6, yours = 0.9.5):
>
> bce0: <Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T (B2), v0.9.6> mem
> 0xdc000000-0xddffffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci2
> bce0: ASIC ID 0x57081020; Revision (B2); PCI-X 64-bit 133MHz
> bce0: Ethernet address: 00:10:18:15:f6:96
>
> Are you still having a problem?  Can you change the version number in
> if_bce.c (bce_driver_version) and make sure the right driver is loading?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

Well spotted, my appologies for that.  I was indedd running a slightly
older version of the driver.  I may have mixed up my kernel build when
experimenting with sharing the same build tree over several machines.

The driver seems to work fine now, that test no longer crashes it.  I
also did some iperf tests between two machines with these cards ( the
other running linux) and I was getting ~950 MBit /sec  between them!

Thanks for your help!  I'll keep beating on these machines for a few
days to come, but will be so glad to get them into productions,
they're so fast!  :-)

cheers,

scott