error: syntax error before "_X_SENTINEL"

Chris H. fbsd at 1command.com
Thu Aug 10 04:24:40 UTC 2006

Hello Mark, and thank you for your prompt reply.

Quoting Mark Kirkwood <markir at paradise.net.nz>:

> Chris H. wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I just recenlly found that I am almost always unable to
>> build X (Xorg) related applications on a 5.5 box that has
>> pretty recent source. The applications all die during the
>> make process with the following error:
>> error: syntax error before "_X_SENTINEL"
>> Any to fix this? Googling indicates that this is a common
>> problem without a solution.
>>
>> System runs Xorg 6.9.
>>
>> Thank you for all your time and consideration.
>>

> I saw this:
>
> http://support.zenwalk.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=84b9cfbdfe961f45c90c7c47960b2268&topic=2134.msg11956
>
> Might be worth a try.

Yes, I caught the thread on that board. But didn't find the solution you
provided. Thanks! That was the /magic/ required to stop the whining offender
(gdkx.h). After some more research and investigation, this anomoly
appears to be a GTK/GD issue, and not X. I'm trying to figure out how to
get this #ifdef hack sucked in globally for the gtk/gd environment. I'm
/pretty/ sure gdkx.h will probably cover it. But would rather have it
sucked in from a seperate file. So as to not contaminate the actual header
file. I've cc'd the ports list, in hopes there is a better solution and
(even better) a newer version that resolves this problem.

#########
NOTE to ports list: please cc me in your replies.
#########

Thanks again for your reply.

--Chris

> Cheers