Network often not responding

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Wed Aug 9 14:10:07 UTC 2006

Akhmad Sakirun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have squid cache server using:
> MB Tyan Tiger K8W/S2875
> Dual Opteron 246
> 4 GB DDR,
> connected to cisco catalyst.
> Freebsd AMD64 6.1-Stable
>
> sometimes network down and up again on uncertain condition
> i've tried change network card  and disable onboadr gigabit ethernet,
> work good for a days then it happen again.
> Then i try to move another port on catalyst switch, it's same.
>
> When network not responding connecting using cross-cable not work too.
> it will up again 5 minutes later or more.
>
> I can't find any relevan error on /var/log/message except something
> like this:
> Aug  9 15:09:16 cache kernel: xl0: transmission error: 90
> Aug  9 15:09:16 cache kernel: xl0: tx underrun, increasing tx start threshold to 120 bytes
>
> anyone experienced something like this ?

Googling for the second line I found this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-doc/2005-November/009273.html

It quotes this part of the manual page for dc, another network card:

"This is from the dc(4) man page:

      dc%d: TX underrun -- increasing TX threshold  The device generated a
      transmit underrun error while attempting to DMA and transmit a packet.
      This happens if the host is not able to DMA the packet data into the
      NIC's FIFO fast enough.  The driver will dynamically increase the
trans-
      mit start threshold so that more data must be DMAed into the FIFO
before
      the NIC will start transmitting it onto the wire."

So it would seem like the card cannot keep pace with the system. What NICs
have you tried?

Dom