amr(4) in 6.1-RELEASE-p3 ignores my tape drive

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Aug 9 04:39:08 UTC 2006

clinth wrote:

>>Hi All,
>

>>This morning I upgraded a Dell PowerEdge 2850 from 6.0-RELEASE to
>>6.1-RELEASE and found that amr(4) no longer detects my Seagate DAT via
>>sa(4).
>

>>The system has an embedded Dell PERC 4e/Di with two channels.  Channel 0
>>contains two disks in RAID 1 and works fine.  Channel 1 has only the DAT
>>at ID 6 but it is no longer detected.  Possibly related to this, ses0
>>also shows up with the 6.0 kernel but not under 6.1.
>

>>The diffs for amr show that a ton of (excellent) work has been done
>>between 6.0 and 6.1 so I have no idea where to even begin looking for a
>>solution.  Any help is most appreciated.
>

>>Regards,
>>RJ
>

> I am having the same issues as RJ.  Has there been a resloution to this
> issue as I'm unable to find one?
> The system is the same as above with a new install of 6.1-RELEASE-p3.  Any
> help is very appreciated.
>
> Clint

It's my fault.  I was hoping that the SCSI-passthrough mis-feature would
not be missed, but I forgot that Dell was making systems that
explicitely encourage it.  Fixing the driver is non-trivial, but I'll
see what I can do before 6.2.  Until then, you should be able to
transplant the 6.0 sources into your 6.1 trees and rebuild.

Scott