geom_mirror problem.

Vincent Blondel vincent at xtra-net.org
Mon Aug 7 11:11:25 UTC 2006

Hello BSD lover's

I get a development server using Soft Mirror I installed by following this
guide

  http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html

This is working fine since a few months without any problem.

Today, I am interested to use Soft Mirror on my FreeBSD desktop system but
with just one partition ( /dev/ad4s3 <--> /dev/ad7s3 ).

So at the end of my FreeBSD CD installation, I tried to set a mirror label
on this partition but this seems to be a problem because I receive as
error message 'Operation not permitted'.

So I decided to reboot the machine with a Freesbie CD Live System.
Everything goes well place a label on ad4s3 but when I try to start my
FreeBSD desktop system I get this error message :

  GEOM_MIRROR : Device gm0 created
  GEOM_MIRROR : Device gm0 : provider ad4s3 detected
  GEOM_MIRROR : Device gm0 : provider ad4s3 created
  GEOM_MIRROR : Device gm0 : provider mirror/gm0 launched
  WARNING: Expected raw offset 0, found 37142280
  Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s3

So, can somebody help me to solve this problem.

Many thanks for your comprehension.

Regards
Vincent.