Safe card to replace for ICP Vortex GDT8514RZ ...

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Aug 1 08:35:53 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:51:59AM +0200, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> That's really really bad news. Oddly, ICP Vortex Germany told me
> the opposite wr/t to their new line of cards. They said, they
> were working on full FreeBSD support. I'll check what they have
> to say about the GDT controllers.

OK - so here's the deal:

The GDT products are officially EOE (End Of Engineering).
ICP Vortex will not provide capacity to update their own
driver for FreeBSD 6.

The new products will feature full FreeBSD support, eventually.
(couple of weeks, he said)

Technically, the ICP guy was quite confident, that ICP's
own driver for FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x didn't show the problems
we have on FreeBSD 6 with the FreeBSD iir driver.
He recommended using ICP's driver source as a reference when
trying to fix the FreeBSD 6 driver.

I'm not a kernel developer so I cannot really comment on this.

HTH,

Patrick M. Hausen
Leiter Netzwerke und Sicherheit
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Vorholzstr. 25        Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100