powernow0: no match for extended cpuid 780

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Fri Apr 28 10:37:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:40:57PM +0200, Stefan 'Steve' Tell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all a big thanks for your reply.
>
> * Bruno Ducrot <ducrot at poupinou.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 04:11:00PM +0000, Stefan 'Steve' Tell wrote:
>
> >>     powernow0: <PowerNow! K7> on cpu0
> >>     powernow0: ACPI MAX frequency not found
> >>     powernow0: no match for extended cpuid 780
>
> > Maybe by chance a BIOS upgrade will be ok.
>
> Sorry, no chance here. This is always the newest bios version available.

:(

> > If that's not the case, or BIOS is alredy the newest, we could resolve
> > that issue by hardcoding sane values under the powernow driver,
> > or by rewritting the DSDT of this laptop.
> > The second solution will give you the oportunity to not have to
> > patch powernow for each upgrades.
>
> This would be great. Do you need more information? What can I do?

I think I will take the DSDT override approach.

This is explained in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html

So all you have to do is to dump the ACPI tables via:
acpidump -t -d > Acer_Aspire_1304LC.asl

Give an URL where we can get this file, or if you can't, send it to me
privately.

I will correct that asl so that after an override of the DSDT (see
"11.16.5 Fixing Your ASL" into the handbook), then powernow driver
will work.  I have already found what are those values from there:
http://lug-owl.de/pipermail/linux/2003-July/019183.html
especially those lines:

+	*pst++ = 4;  /*  666 MHz */
+	*pst++ = 19; /*   1.20 V */
+	*pst++ = 6;  /*  800 Mhz */
+	*pst++ = 19; /*   1.20 V */
+	*pst++ = 10; /* 1066 Mhz */
+	*pst++ = 19; /*   1.20 V */
+	*pst++ = 14; /* 1333 Mhz */
+	*pst++ = 11; /*   1.45 V */
+	*pst++ = 1;  /* 1533 Mhz */
+	*pst = 9;    /*   1.55 V */

Correcting the DSDT is therefore easy to me.

Just in case you wonder, I can't provide a generic workaround under
the powernow driver, and if I write a specific workaround for
your model into the powernow driver (and I think his maintainer have to
change it in order to support more processors soon) you may have
trouble and I would have to redo the work.

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.