console on sioN (not 0), RELENG_6

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Thu Apr 27 16:35:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 08:16:42PM +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Colleagues,
>
> what should I do to drift serial console from sio0 to sio4 on puc (alas, com1
> is broken on given motherboard, and there is no com2)? Quick googling and
> looking through the Handbook does not help much.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What I've done:

* Create or update /boot.config to include a line that reads "-P" (or
  "-DP").

* Update /boot/device.hints to remove the 0x10 flag from sio.0.  (Not
  sure that's needed, but....)  Add that flag to sio.N (sio.4, in your
  case).

* Assuming(!) you want to be able to login to the device, update
  /etc/ttys to have a getty running on ttydN (ttyd4, in your case).

The above is based on my experiences with machines using the Intel
SE7520JR2 system board, which provides an RJ45 port on the back for
"Serial B".

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Mail filters, like sewers, need to be most restrictive at the point of entry.