geli password prompt does not work

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 26 20:57:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:31:38PM +0200, Martin wrote:
+> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> > Could you send me the output of:
+> >
+> > 	# geli dump /dev/<foo> | head -10
+>
+> Metadata on /dev/ad0s2g:
+>      magic: GEOM::ELI
+>    version: 0
+>      flags: 0x2
+>       algo: AES
+>     keylen: 128
+>   provsize: 6475562496
+> sectorsize: 4096
+>       keys: 0x01
+> iterations: 46459
+>
+> > Also, please increase debug level to 1 (kern.geom.eli.debug) and send me
+> > what is printed on the console as well.
+>
+> When it works, it looks like this:
+> GEOM_ELI[1]: Using Master Key 0 for ad0s2g.
+> GEOM_ELI[1]: Creating device ad0s2g.eli.
+> GEOM_ELI[0]: Device ad0s2g.eli created.
+> GEOM_ELI[0]:     Cipher: AES
+> GEOM_ELI[0]: Key length: 128
+> GEOM_ELI[0]:     Crypto: software
+> GEOM_ELI[1]: Thread g_eli[0] ad0s2g started.
+>
+> I get no output while using the new kernel. I found out that
+> I can scroll up and down (scroll lock), so the kernel is
+> not frozen, as I thought previously.

Flags field suggest that you were giving the passphrase on boot, before
root file system was mounted. Is that right?

Can you enter DDB, look for g_event and g_eli_worker processes PIDs in
'ps' output and send me the output of 'trace <pid>' for both of them?
You can enter debugger with ctrl+alt+del if you have DDB compiled into
the kernel.

Could you also put kern.geom.debugflags=1 and kern.geom.eli.debug=3 into
/boot/loader.conf and send me the output as well?