6.1RC system nearly freezing

Henri Hennebert hlh at restart.be
Mon Apr 24 20:28:32 UTC 2006

Robert Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Henri Hennebert wrote:
>
>>> Are you running with WITNESS and INVARIANTS enabled?  If not, could
>>> you do so and see if the problem is reproduceable, and if so, whether
>>> or not WITNESS (and friends) generate any warnings?
>>>
>>> It looks like something has leaked a lock, resulting in deadlock.
>>> The question is, however, which lock, and where.  WITNESS may be able
>>> to provide some insight into this; if you could run "show alllocks"
>>> with WITNESS in place, that would be helpful also.
>>
>> I add WITNESS and INVARIANTS to my config and the next freeze/boot
>> will have it [see PS].
>>
>> This server is in production and running with a newer kernel for more
>> than 5 days now.
>>
>> The diff (from apr 13) with the previous kernel [the one with the last
>> freeze] are:
>
> Make sure you are also compiling in INVARIANT_SUPPORT and WITNESS_SKIPSPIN.

Sorry. I add this and kernel is builded now.

At the first boot I got a panic on a gif interface. I don't need it now so
I commented it out of rc.conf.local and reboot.

New kernel is running with WITNESS and INVARIANT... System seems not too loaded ...

I am at home and the serial console is not connected. I snapshot the KVM of the panic
and attatch it to this mail for the record.

Henri

--- remaining of previous mail clipped ---