FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE (April 5, 2006) randomly rebooting on Dell Poweredge 650

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 24 13:29:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Matt Watson wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is the right place to be sending this or not but I
> figured I'd give it a shot.

This (freebsd-stable) is a good place to send the message.

Do you have a serial console on the box?  If not, could you try putting one on
there?  Some kernel output, especially in the event of a crash, doesn't end up
in the system log as (for example) the file system may not be available.  If
you configure a serial console being logged to another machine, you can more
reliably log crash information.  Information on setting up a serial console
can be found in the FreeBSD Handbook, but the short of it is that you can put
a null modem cable to another box on the first serial port, and add:

     console="comconsole"

to /boot/loader.conf.  FreeBSD will normally reboot after a kernel panic if
debugging isn't enabled, in which case you should see the output.  And if you
don't see output, it's probably a bad hardware interaction rather than a
kernel panic.

Robert N M Watson