em (+pf+vlan+bridge+netgraph) stop sending packets (?)

Andrew Thompson thompsa at freebsd.org
Thu Apr 20 10:54:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:15:10PM +0400, Yuriy Tsibizov wrote:
> I run a 6.1-RC (as of Apr, 14th) and after a day nothing can be sent from em interface.
>
> It is a filtering+accounting bridge-on-a-stick, with em interface
> connected to 3Com Switch 4200 100Mbit (not Gbit) port with 4 tagged
> vlans on it:
>
> Polling was not used (I'll try to work with polling enabled on em0).
>
> ALTQ is not configured, pf has all block rules logged and I can't see anything relevant logged to pflog.
>
> Traffic is received (I can see pairs of OSPF HELO messages from ISP
> router logged on pflog0 exactly every 10 seconds), but it looks like
> nothing can be sent.

A bridge on a stick only works under certian conditions, mainly support
by the switch its connected to. Its obviously working for you for a
period of time so thats probably ok.

Make sure that you dont use scrubbing with pf as the bridge doesn't
handle the fragment reassembly at the moment.

Can you also try a few things when it stops
 - flush the bridge table using ifconfig
 - use tcpdump on the bridge interface to see if its forwarding packets

cheers,
Andrew