Tyan K8WE BIOS v1.03 and -STABLE

Thomas Hurst tom.hurst at clara.net
Wed Apr 19 14:23:22 UTC 2006

* Damian Gerow (dgerow at afflictions.org) wrote:

> I tried updating the BIOS on my K8WE (S2895) yesterday to 1.03, but
> after the update, FreeBSD (RELENG_6 dated March 26) would randomly
> freeze after booting.
>
> As I was updating from v1.01, I suspect it may be the updates to
> the nVidia SATA firmware that caused the issue, as things generally
> froze shortly after the background fsck processed kicked in (with,
> obviously, the exception of the first boot, and a few others).  It may
> be worth noting that Windows, though booting fine, did complain that
> the ATA driver was mis-matched for the firmware of the ATA controller.
>
> Is anyone else successfully running -STABLE with v1.03 on a K8WE?  Just
> wondering if this is something specific to the options I've chosen, or if
> it's an interaction issue between FreeBSD and this BIOS revision.
>
> (No, I haven't tried just going to 1.02, as I needed the machine.  Though
> that should be a fairly good test to narrow down what the problem is.)

I've not tried 1.03; I just tried flashing, but apparantly the only
floppy I have to hand has died.  However, I've been running 1.02 for
months without problems.  The only SATA issues I've encountered are
non-functional hot-plug and the usual 4GB+/multiple drives lockup, which I
"solved" by using a LSI MegaRAID for 6 of the 8 drives.

This is using the same SATA firmware as 1.03 according to the changelog
on http://www.tyan.com/support/html/b_s2895.html so I doubt it's that.

--
Thomas 'Freaky' Hurst
    http://hur.st/