CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and loader

Evren Yurtesen yurtesen at ispro.net.tr
Tue Apr 18 06:54:16 UTC 2006

James Long wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:43:58 +0300
>> From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen at ispro.net.tr>
>> Subject: CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and loader
>> To: freebsd-stable at freebsd.org
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem which I have found out from mailing lists that some
>> other people had. However there is no clear solution.
>>
>> The CPUTYPE=athlon-xp in make.conf breaks /boot/loader that system
>> instant reboots. I am using 6-stable and from what I can see the problem
>> goes back till about 5.3... Sometime between Oct 12-15, 2005
>>
>> http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=freebsd-current&a=2004-10&m=435817
>>
>> I wonder if this will ever be fixed or I shouldnt use CPUTYPE=athlon-xp
>> anymore on FreeBSD because of this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Evren
>
> I don't propose this as a solution, but as far as I know, the best practice
> is:
>
> CPUTYPE?=athlon-xp
>

> Note the question mark.
>
> I don't know that this will solve your problem, just pointing out
> the correct syntax, for whatever CPUTYPE you decide to use.

Doesnt the ? mean that it should be set if it is not set yet? I can give
it a try to this, next time I build world however I dont think that it
will compile loader without cputype athlon-xp set so...

I just thought that loader doesnt need to be so optimized anyhow. It is
more important that it loads at boot and there are people on this list
who has problems with the optimizations and I found some more on google.
So the best is to either fix the code in loader or do not optimize it.

But of course I dont care so much after all I learned to live with it.
:) Just wanted to point out that this kind of problem exists for over a
year!

Thanks,
Evren