CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and loader

Jonathan Noack noackjr at alumni.rice.edu
Mon Apr 17 18:25:40 UTC 2006

Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
>> I filed a bug report for this in January of 2005:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=75898
>
> Wow, that was a long time ago! I am thinking that the Makefile fix is
> very attractive because the only problem is the loader for me. It seems
> like it is the same for most other people.
>
> So why not just fix the loader's Makefile so it wont use these
> instructions until some more permanent fix is found?

Actually, this was done prior to 5.4 and 6.0.  For details see revision
1.10 of src/sys/boot/i386/Makefile.inc
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/boot/i386/Makefile.inc).
  What CFLAGS are you using and when did you last rebuild world/kernel?

> It is really not nice when I need to boot my computer with Freesbie and
> change the loader since there is no way that I can boot FreeBSD once
> this happens.

Speaking of which, revision 1.11 of src/sys/boot/i386/Makefile.inc
should be MFC'd before 5.5 and 6.1.

-Jonathan