disklabel backups

Peter Hoskin peterh at criten.org
Mon Apr 17 03:58:17 UTC 2006

Hi,

Just a thought...

Twice I've needed a backup of disklabel... the first instance was user
error, and the second was due to a failing hard drive that needed
information to be retrieved from it. Both times after getting the
disklabel set correctly, I was able to remount the filesystems and use
them as normal. However getting the details right was difficult.

I now backup disklabel in my backup procedures.

However, I understand OpenBSDs /etc/periodic does a backup of disklabel
to the filesystem. A feature like this would be great on FreeBSD, as in
the event of a future failure I could retrieve the disklabel from backups.

Not sure if this is the right mailing list to send this to, so let me
know if it isn't.

Regards,
Peter Hoskin