Default ICMP rate limiting changes from 5.4 to 6.x?

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Thu Apr 13 21:30:14 UTC 2006

Hello all,

	I'm trying to figure out why my smokeping installation using fping
probes now seems to get periodic loss. It's very minor and only
affects the fping probe type. Without centering too much on smokeping
details, was there any sort of default rate limiting changed in the
ICMP settings going from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6.0? The problem happens
across every monitor and started exactly after the upgrade. I tried
removing and reinstalling the fping port as well as all of smokeping
via the port as well but it had no effect. Does anyone have any other
ideas as to what might cause this to happen? I asked on the smokeping
list but nobody had any input.

The system in question is running:

FreeBSD engbox.tellurian.net 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE
#3: Wed Mar  8 16:37:25 EST 2006

I can post dmesg output too, but I don't think that is necessarily
relevant as everything else is working perfectly fine and I have no
stability or performance problems.

Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas or hints!

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain