swap performance under 6.1

David E. Cross crossd at cs.rpi.edu
Wed Apr 12 21:55:14 UTC 2006

Yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that my 6.1 partition
has a bad block in .. say.. libc that's delaying reads and causing me
trouble, I just remember installing 6.1 and thinking "OUCH".

I get the impression that this is a latency issue more then a bandwidth
issue (responsiveness vs performance).  so I think that any long running
test to see how effecitvely we swap isn't going to show anything.

I could totally re-partition and get 4.x, 5.x and 6.x all on
concurrently if that would help.  But I think I would need a good test
program to have waiting in the wings to quantitatively measure the
differences; anyone have any ideas?

(and yes, as Garance quoted, swap partition is shared)

--
David E. Cross