swap performance under 6.1

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed Apr 12 17:37:30 UTC 2006

At 12:03 AM -0400 4/12/06, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 10:43:32PM +0000, David E. Cross wrote:
>>  I saw under http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.1R/todo.html  that swap
>>  performance under 6.x is slower then 4.X, and this is listed as "not
>>  done".
>>
>  > I noticed that 6.1 seemed to be a dog, but 6.0 I thought
>  > was better.  As a test I installed 6.0 and 6.1 in parallel
>  > on my laptop with identical ports trees (and packages)

Note...

>  > and 6.0 does feel a lot more responisve to swapping; I would
>  > be eager to help track this down if someone could give me
>  > some pointers.  If I have to _guess_ as to a problem it would
>  > seem like some of the scheduling priorities changed.
>
>I didn't think this was a 6.1 regression compared to 6.0,
>but 6.x compared to 4.x.  It would be good to try and
>quantify any performance differences here - so far it's
>just a bunch of people's subjective opinions (including
>mine) after upgrading from 4.x.

In Dave's case, the tests are explicitly 6.0-release vs
6.1- at april-5th.  Those are the two installations he has on
his laptop, which he is comparing to each other via dual-
booting.  The thing is, he's not sure how to get the numbers
to back up the performance "feel" that he's experiencing.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu