How can I install a driver?

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Apr 11 01:21:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 06:07, Chris H. wrote:
> > but I have no clue how I can bypass the second step, which is installing
> > the if_myk.ko to /boot/kernel
> >
> > I have tried to cp if_yk.ko /boot/kernel/
>
> bad idea.

Maybe you should elaborate as to why..

It shouldn't do any *harm*.

The only downside will be that if you build a new kernel you'll no longer be
able to load it automatically (because it will be in /boot/kernel.old)

For testing purposed you could just unpack it into, say, /tmp and then do
kldload ./if_yk.ko

If that works OK then copy it into /boot/modules and add
if_yk_load="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum