Odd "phantom MFS mountpoint" issue

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Mon Apr 10 19:37:05 UTC 2006

I've got a 5.4-RELEASE-p9 system that I was doing some memory filesystem
testing on.  I'm seeing something odd, though - a small MFS partition
mounted over top of /tmp that I can't get rid of.

Here's the system now:

[minter at carlton mrvoice]$ mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr/www (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/md0 on /tmp (ufs, local)

There's no md0 line in /etc/fstab:

[minter at carlton mrvoice]$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/ad0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0s1d             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0s1f             /usr/www                ufs     rw              2
2
/dev/ad0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

I can see the md0 device with mdconfig:

[root at carlton ~]# mdconfig  -l
md0

I can stop all activity on /tmp, unmount it, and do mdconfig -d -u 0 to
delete the resources.  However, when I reboot the system, the mountpoint
is back.  I can't tell where the system is getting that from.

How should I remove this mfs mountpoint permanently to get the disk-based
/tmp back?

--Wade